Have an Hour to Spare in Seattle?
Every summer season we welcome hundreds of guests to the Red Lion on Fifth Avenue, oftentimes they have lots of ideas and activities planned to enjoy the Emerald City during their stay with us. But sometimes, guests just have a small niche of time and want to get a quick Seattle experience. Our Chef Concierge, Susan McDaniels, shared her favorite things to do if all you have is one hour to spare. And best of all, they’re all located within walking distance of the hotel!
- Walk across the street over to City Centre to view the Pilchuck Glass Art throughout the building. I have a brochure that has all of the beautiful pieces to see and who the artists are. Then guests can also enjoy a snack or a nice cup of coffee at any of the nice places in the Centre.
- Head down to 1st and Union to Fran’s Chocolates in the Four Seasons Hotel. They can sit inside and enjoy a delicious cup of hot chocolate with one of Fran’s awesome truffles and watch the people passing by on 1st Avenue.
- I like to recommend Belle Epicurian, a wonderful Parsian Patisserie on 4th between University and Seneca for French pastries or a light breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s just like being on the Champs-Elysées in Paris!
- Wandering through the Pike Place Market can take all day if you want or you can zip through in just an hour or so. Don’t forget to see the “Gum Wall”!
- Walk to the Pike Place Market and have a coffee at the Original Starbucks. This is Starbuck’s second location and was opened in 1976. The first location was on Western Avenue from 1971-1976 but the location in the Market is considered the original.
- Visit the Seattle Library. This $165.5 million dollar shimmering glass and steel library has 11 levels; a capacity for more than 1.4 million books and materials; imaginative spaces and clear way-finding, all of which make this building enjoyable and easy for all patrons to use.
- Walk to Seattle Glassblowing Studio and watch skilled artists in action 7 days a week. Then go across the street to Top Pot Donuts for one of their tasty treats.